In today’s on demand world, it is no surprise that magazine readers want information about what they see — immediately. According to a recent study by ShopAdvisor, women ages 18 to 54 were asked about their shopping behavior as related to the products they saw in their favorite magazines. Some top line results:
– Reading articles absolutely influences the way they shop. Over 33% said they often bookmark a page for later shopping reference, or shop for the items they see in the magazines.
– When shown a sample page, the number one “useful” tool would be the ability to get specific about exactly what the model was wearing, including brand, retailer availability and pricing.
– However precision was not always a good thing. The second most useful tool would be the ability to see similar items from different brands, at different price points.
– There’s a lag time between shopping from the magazine and buying in store since often many products are not yet available in retail. As one respondent said “be the first to help me get the looks that I love.”
– Price still matters. Almost 50% of respondents said that if they saw something in a magazine and marked the page, they would likely buy that item if it went on sale.
So how can you get credit for this native commerce you are driving with every issue?
1) Make it easy for your readers to get the information on demand. The more you can engage them up front (and track it) the more you can prove you source product demand for your advertisers and retailers.
2) Don’t get too specific. Listing only one retailer isn’t helping your audience and certainly not your chances of driving a sale. Use a tool that enables you to go beyond a simple affiliate link, and feature all available online (and local) retailers.
3) Use changes in availability (or price) as a reason to re-engage and provide value to your readers. Alerting them when something they want is becomes available at retail is not only helpful, it reminds them that your title is where they found what they love.
It is easy to offer native commerce right from the pages of your magazine. Use the new ShopAdvisor Self-Service Tool. Within minutes create a shopping experience tied to your content, including multiple retailers, automatic price alerts and more. Visit http://www.shopadvisor.com/business/selfserve and try our new tool. IT IS FREE!!